What characters from literature would you like to be added to FGO?

Similar to another discussion on here, but this time about characters from literature rather than history.
We already have a number of servants in the game from literature, such as Dantes, Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty, Mephistopheles, Beowulf, and classic horror characters like Jekyll & Hyde, Frankenstein, Phantom of the Opera and to some degree Vladzerker (though part of that is legend). And then there’s Nursery Rhyme, being an actual book.

So who else do you think would be a good addition to FGO?

An obvious choice is Captain Ahab from Moby Dick as an Avenger (yes, Fate/Strange Fake gave me the idea) as he could share the giant enemy niche with Arthur Proto while having a ST NP (a harpoon attack).

As for ones I came up with myself, I’d like both General Zaroff and Sanger Rainsford from the short story The Most Dangerous Game with Zaroff being an Archer and Rainsford being an Assassin due to their roles in the story. I’ve already thought up skills/NPs and animation ideas for them, both would be pretty cool.

7 Likes

Definitely Abraham Van Helsing from Dracula. Either as a lancer (wooden stakes) or archer (revolver). I’m actually kind of surprised that he isn’t a servant already. Zorro as either a saber or a rider. Don Quixote, probably as a saber but really as a joke character like Paul Bunyan. Sun Wukong probably as a lancer (I think the grail would count a bo staff as a lance).

This is a bit of a deep cut: Utnapishtim from The Epic of Gilgamesh. Technically he’s the actual first hero since he’s already saved the world long before Gil shows up. Probably a rider with some kind of flood based AoE NP and very strong survival tools (since he’s immortal). I think it could make a really cool story to have him show up in an archer Gil focused story line to check his ego and help develop his character.

This probably isn’t in the spirit of your question but I would love to see them bring in some Tsukihime characters (it’s a visual novel so that kind of counts, right?) Arcueid is a berserker in Fate Extra so it’s not so far fetched. I just really love the Tsukihime world lore and want to see Dead Apostle Ancestors or either of the Aozakis or Ciel or Bartomeloi Lorelei or whoever really. I love the idea of Fate being like a kitchen sink of lore from around the world but Nasu has some really good original characters too and I wish they got more love.

7 Likes

Idk if Romance of the Three Kingdoms counts because it is based on historical events… but more of them please xD

Oh yes please… Tsukihime collab when DW?

6 Likes

The only trouble with Utnapishtim is that would be Gil Prototype’s NP if they ever decide to bring the better Gilgamesh into FGO. (not biased at all) They could even turn him into a saber if they have too many archer Gils because he actually fights with his swords (well, swords/combination bow) while also firing other swords.

4 Likes

Sun Wukong from Journey to the West

Sinbad from alf layl wa-layl, and several more character from that noble phantasm like Caliph Harun Al-Rashid, Aladdin

Maybe more character for 108 star of destiny(water margin) and Record of Three Kingdom…

8 Likes

I know this is maybe a bit outlandish… but James Bond would be pretty cool as another gun wielder.

I’d love some more detectives to appear as actual servants, Poirot comes to mind but there’s some good Scottish ones like Laidlaw and Lennox

1 Like

Tbf we already have Lu Bu and Sima Yi/Zhuge Liang.

1 Like

I was trying to keep legend/myth separate from literature, though I understand that’s difficult to do because of cases like Dracula and The Romance of the Three Kingdoms (also I agree that we need more from that legend/story, so many good characters).

1 Like

True… but I need MOAR.

2 Likes

Also in case anyone doesn’t know The Most Dangerous Game, as far as I know it’s the first ‘hunting humans for sport’ story from which many other stories took inspiration. That’s why I think it has left enough of a historical mark for servants to be adapted from it.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m surprised they didn’t make a Guan Yu yet. He is known to be the “God of War” in Romance of the 3 kingdoms.

1 Like

We kind a get teased by it so i want Poirot

2 Likes

Only in Romance… Historically he sucks…

1 Like

This is Fate though, legend and renoun are worth more than fact.

1 Like

Idk anything about him outside of Romance of the 3 kingdoms and that only because I played the DW series growing up

2 Likes

First one was not really literary character but a book itself. Grimm’s Fairy Tales? not sure with that english title but y’know

Next would be bronze rarity Servants: Rapunzel, Cinderella, Little Mermaid, Ice Queen, etc.

That’s all for now? I have not read much from Classical Literature or I probably don’t remember much. It’s either I have modern ones or the mythological epic ones.

But oh, Jay Gatsby

1 Like

The 2010 live action TV series is what I know the Romance of the Three Kingdoms from, as a friend had to watch it for a class. Pretty interesting, and of course the stories and action are dramatized to great lengths.

(Edit) Though DW does depict Lu Bu as more of an unstoppable warrior than the live action.

2 Likes

Sanzang maybe, but surely there was no historical monkey king who could transform and make clones and lift mountains, etc.

I feel like Type-Moon kind of pretends that Tsukihime doesn’t exist these days. I want a good anime adaptation and Tsukihime 2 so badly but it’s become a meme that we’re never getting new Tsukihime content.

1 Like

How about Hannibal as a rider?

2 Likes

You could take any of the tiger generals out of any of the factions and they would be iconic. Zhang Fei and Guan Yu were two of my absolute favourite characters.

2 Likes