Why Are Saves a Mistake?

This:

User Booba. Uses cav lines with mostly +10 units. 2nd Nott is unmerged.

4 units on offense… Peony is only there for additional Atk.

End of turn 1:

Sure, you can’t hit the pots… Unless you add 2 more units to the offense… But a whaled out ideally built Cav line dies in one turn to save skills. That’s what happens when you’re allowed to force units to attack a unit other than the one it targets.

I know you know this, I just wanted to put a picture to it all.

14 Likes

We all know save skills should only affect units 1 space to the unit (and maybe even on the first attack only)

13 Likes

Adjacent restriction would be FINE. That’d ruin most of what’s wrong with saves so I’m all for it.

15 Likes

Well, I think you know my opinion about save skills (they rule!!).

For me, the mistake was all the movement creep. Getting your score bot (aka mythics) killed by a unit half across the map was not fun. It preyed on the weak and caused massive frustration. If your whole team can’t win against the strongest unit (the savior), then why should it win at all?

10 Likes

Saves as a whole were a mistake, and Feh’s bad AI makes it even worse.

12 Likes

I still maintain that save skills themselves aren’t even a problem if you remove like half a dozen armors from the game

Whereas the older gen 1/2 armors desperately needed save skills to be relevant again. Heck armors in general needed save skills to be meta again

15 Likes

This is a good take

Save skills are annoying at worst on most armors. It’s when they’re combined with the other BS that a select group of armored units have that make them obnoxious. And the fact that those half dozen or so armors are the only ones that are used everywhere (particularly B-Hector) are what makes them busted (no one complains about Dedue, for instance)

17 Likes

Save Skills were a good idea since it made armors more viable.

Cheap yes but in AR were placement and time management is everything, it helped a lot.

The problems are how easy it is for the player and A.I. (when designed properly) with little to no counterplay and especially the units who can use them.

B!Hector and B!Edelgard are the main culprits but A!Fjorm took it to a new level since Dazzling Pain+ and Windsweep are no longer viable anti strats with her.

9 Likes

Dazzling Pain and Windsweep are no longer viable anti-strats

Good

9 Likes

Yeah set like bector, gustav, p!surtr(who WOULD be cancerous if bector wasn’t hogging the spotlight), maybe bagel, a!fjorm off to the side for a sec

No one talked about arden before near save existed. Black knight had been collecting dust in a corner for years. Hardin suddenly becomes really good as a fast-ish far save armor with self-healing. Og surtr can finally fulfill his dreams of “im a wall that burns you” once again. Draug, Gwendolyn, and Sheena all become really good with their refines

Tl;dr: save skills aren’t the problem. Bector is

17 Likes

Yeah, like no one complains about Dedue even though he comes with Save
People just fodder him to one of the aforementioned busted armors instead

9 Likes

I wonder if I should make Near or Far Save Valbar

3 Likes

neither cuz Benny exists now

9 Likes

If I was gonna do it on Benny I wouldve said Benny

4 Likes

Benny is just Valbar +10bst until valbar gets refined 2 years from now

I know

2 Likes

See the real question not posed by this thread is:

How long until we get a unit with a save skill baked into their weapon :feh_marththink:

8 Likes

Christmas duo probably.

8 Likes

Probably not before long

5 Likes

Whales getting destroyed by lowly merged units.

This is beautiful.

9 Likes