Why are we suddenly talking about going back to normal now? It is not gonna happen

I always wonder what’s this talk of going back to normal.

It’s not gonna happen.

Niantic is explicitly stating this intention with research tasks back in July and even published a roadmap for it. (Which also includes reduced gym/stop radius as promised)

Jokes on them, the real world disagrees.

The Delta virus will soon sweep all of Europe and then all over the world and by that time we will just get more lockdowns and more social distancing. And there will soon me more variants in the upcoming decade.

There is already a Delta variant sweeping all over vaccinated states with one thirds of people infected in Israel being vaccinated. UK is ready to propose for more Delta Covid lockdowns any time soon.

So why bother reopening, Niantic? False hope? Because the fact is evident that there is no reopening.

Alas, Niantic should had been shut down their servers because their game is now completely unsustainable and outdoor exploration and gatherings are not a part of the New Normal.

At least going out was never much prohibited here in Germany, and i think it won’t be a lot in the future. Personally i guess there’s the point from which on future lock downs will be more localized and not as strict - at least nationwide

At least going out was never much prohibited here in Germany

No nationwide lock downs or any form of Curfew?

There was for a short time in March i think (from ten on in the evening only). But even then you could go out, no one controlled a single person at least.
Edit, it was end of April to beginning of may. Mostly we had a lockdown light where you could go out all the time more or less

The German people have always struck me as being more sensible, loved my holiday to Germany by the way. This is also probably why you’ve done comparatively well over there. The UK seems to have a greater proportion of morons and I’d argue it is despite that and the government’s populist approach of using the vaccinations to whitewash over the death toll, general failings, internal fraud etc has seen us come out of it fairly quickly.

I would think it goes without saying that the individual mandate in one’s country supersedes what Niantic encourages, but either way Niantic won’t be able to please people because it is different everywhere. Mask mandate here hasn’t been a thing for a month, and before that there was basically no such thing as even a lockdown.

2 Likes

Mask mandate here hasn’t been a thing for a month, and before that there was basically no such thing as even a lockdown.

Where do you live in?

I live in Hong Kong and there’s a Mask Mandate expected to end 2 weeks later (although I don’t think they won’t extend it to a year later, and a year later).

As for lockdowns, how about Emergency states/soft curfews (no dining) etc?

but either way Niantic won’t be able to please people because it is different everywhere.

Rural areas…good lord…

Very true.

19th July all finally goes back to normal in the UK, it’s today being hinted that this will include masks, there will be no restrictions at all except isolating when you test positive.

To be honest, lots of people are manky b@stards anyway who won’t cover their mouth when they cough/sneeze etc so I’d be fine with masks staying.

I’d also be fine with niantic continuing a careful approach to balance what the majority of the world is, or isn’t, coping with.

But isn’t the UK literally freaking out over Covid Delta infections?

Or most of their people are vaccinated so they could reduce the damage dealt?

No, our Prime Minister and his government don’t like poor people so they’re fine with any new variants culling a few more of the plebs. They’re also a hugely populist government who simply play to the majority, most of whom simply don’t care about anything more than being able to go out and get drunk and slate Europe for all of our problems again.

We are something like 80% single-vaccinated and 60% have had both doses so in the grand scheme of it, so for people like me and my partner, who was (is) in the highly vulnerable group, we’re not that badly off.

So you’ll finally stop playing the game?

Alas, Niantic should had been shut down their servers because their game is now completely unsustainable and outdoor exploration and gatherings are not a part of the New Normal.

This, and that.

Please seek help.

I’ve seen your posts over the last year or so become more and more delusional and I am genuinely concerned for your well-being. Niantic is a lazy company who fully take advantage of a section of the player base who will just keep spending but they’re not part of some sort of grand conspiracy.

As for the UK, our government is a disaster but vaccination is going well and any future lockdown is more due to the UK’s political position post-Brexit than anything inherent with the virus. At this point, it looks pretty clear we are heading for Covid being treated similarly to flu where vulnerable people receive vaccines yearly for any changes to the virus while life continues as before. We’ve probably still got a year of disruption ahead but only because of government mismanagement and lack of vaccines available for poorer nations.

2 Likes

Did you read Niantic’s announcement? They specifically stated that the changes will only be rolling out to NZ and the US at first, and then to other countries when it makes sense for them. They’re not pulling the plug everywhere all at once, so chill.

Freaking out over the Delta variant?.. not really freaking out as such but something has to be explained about communities first.

There are 2 types of Communities;

1 - Where everyone looks out for each other and helps each other. China and several other countries fall into this group where they do what has to be done for everyone else.

2 - Where it’s each person for themselves. This is what the majority of the world’s countries are like. This is what it’s like in the UK, but no country has shown it’s lack of community as much as America has during all of this.

Now, in England, Boris Johnson put all his faith in the British public doing the right thing and help reduce the spread themselves… but Boris doesn’t live in the real world and doesn’t understand that the Great British public are out for themselves and will do whatever they can get away with.

This is the reason why it spread quite quickly back in March last year and over Christmas when Boris allowed people to be with their families for a couple of days… and we’re still paying for that idiotic relaxation 6 months later and still have at least 3 more weeks to go.

This current extension hasn’t put any measures in place to prevent the virus spreading any faster, so the 4k a day 2 weeks ago became 9k a day last week and it’s not going to slow down.

TL;DR - No, the British public don’t give a shit about anyone else but themselves and what they can get away with doing.

Around 50-55% (roughly 35 million) have had at least 1 vaccination jab, with 60-70% of those having their second already. The vaccination is now available to all adults aged 18+, but not being offered to anyone younger.

1 Like

What will keep this virus going is the fact that current and newer variants will keep jumping from county to country as no government has the balls to do what’s right, with the exception of Australia and New Zealand who did it right the first time last year by not letting anyone into or out of the country, thereby stopping the spread before it started.

Remember that this is no longer just a pandemic, but is endemic as well… which means it’s staying with us just like the flu and other common coronaviruses. That is why, at the start, they talked about the “new normal” once this first part is over and the vast majority are vaccinated.

1 Like

I feel like we’re on the same page but I’m more cynical

Now, in England, Boris Johnson put all his faith in the British public doing the right thing and help reduce the spread themselves

He knew that people would do what they wanted and spread the virus but it suited both his herd immunity policy and his main base of voters to give them these relaxations. The joys of a populist government - public policy by lowest common denominator.

The point is that, Masks and Social distancing will be mandated by law for a decade in most countries, and hard/soft curfews would too.

Yes, and even in those places they would not be able to pull anytime soon.

Even though this is a sad topic it’s nice to learn where some of you regulars are from (Michigan, USA here)