Why do max potions exist?

Ok, so I’m a bit bored, my mind wanders and asks various pointless questions and this was today’s random thought. What is the point of the max potion? Hyper potions restore 200hp, revives restore 50% of hp. So, unless you’ve used one of only a handful of pokemon either in a raid or attacking a gym (most of which you’d never use for either) and they don’t quite faint, only then do you actually need to restore more than 200hp. It’s the pokemon go equivalent of the cheese knife, or the office fax machine - we have them, but we never actually use them.

3 Likes

100% or XL Blissey need max potion to full heal. Also few times Hariyama or Rhyperior wasnt full after Super potion, so rarely you need them. Probably if someone troll with Woboffet in gyms, also need Max potion to fully health :slight_smile:

Overall, 95% times its just fine with super potions.

2 Likes

Blissey is like the sole reason, and they have a different design :catroll:. But yeah most of the time it’s entirely useless unless the Pokemon juuuuust avoids fainting and also has a pretty large HP pool.

2 Likes

You could surely play without the max potions/revives… most of the time I need to delete potions and revives from my bag.

But you can use them on some Pokemon for sure

This is a small list that I know (could) have more then 200 HP think defenders like:

Blissey
Chansey
Wobbuffet
Slaking
Wailord
Alomomola
Wigglytuff
Munchlax
Snorlax

Or those that could serve as attackers
Drifblim
Hariyama
Giratina
Melmetal
Yveltal
Wiglituf
Greedent
Lapras
Mamoswine
Rhyperior

And proabbly many more (think Lugia + level 40)… So I keep max potions and use them like normal/super/hyper potions or indeed as max potions if Melmetal just survives that Rocket battle it won.

2 Likes

That was the crux of my thinking, the vast majority will be in a gym so always come back fainted, Blissey just tops out over 400hp but yes,just use a hyper and one of the super potions that we all bin anyway.

Pointless thread I know but then I spend my life thinking random pointless thoughts and accruing various, generally pointless, knowledge.

5 Likes

To fill your box

2 Likes

And it works, one of the catalysts for my thought was seeing an amateur question “how do I get more revives?” accompanied by a photo of their 1000 capacity bag with 0 revives and 200 max potions.

2 Likes

You should not compare everybody with people like us… some people do really struggle to get this or that, things we ussally have to much of…

1 Like

Sometimes, yes, some of my friends ask for gifts because they’re living away from stops but someone with zero revives but 200 max potions (plus assorted other potions, 70-odd hyper potions I recall) is clearly doing sonething wrong.

1 Like

I got the answer for you…

Ready for it…

Here it comes…

So you can delete hyper potions.

Of course that raises the question on Why do Hyper potions exist? But that’s a deep one for another thread

3 Likes

So we immediately throw away every Hyper Pots we get

Also my L40 Blissey need a Max Pot bc using a Revive and a Hyper Pot doesn’t get them back to full HP

1 Like

I only keep Max Potions and Max Revives because I get so many of them that it’s just easier to throw everything else away and know that I’ll always be able to heal or revive any Pokemon to full with one item.

1 Like

Probably one day we’ll be able to max out beyond L50 and then many mons will see its use. I have so many max revives that I hardly ever use potions anyway (typical problem of non-PvE player)

2 Likes

We’re through the looking glass and down the rabbit hole now, and potentially also through the wardrobe and into Narnia. But yes, well answered. :rofl:

3 Likes

If that’s the reason, for a company like niantic which seems to rarely look further than what’s happening in the next hour or two (I’m still thinking the misunderstood mischief research is spread out so much because they haven’t actually written the back half of it yet) it’s a rare moment of forward thinking.

Since Pokemon GO uses half levels, a L50 in Pokemon GO is a L100 in the MSG. I don’t see Niantic changing to whole levels.

If Niantic ever decide to go off the deep end completely then Gigantimax pokèmon and Eternitus XXL would probably require Max Potions.

Eternamax Eternatus has the same HP as Blissy in MSG, and fewer HP in GO for the 9% nerf.

So was your reply, I chuckled quite a bit.

3 Likes