Why does Scathach=Skadi?

Nobody else gets a comparison operator in their actual name. What gives? Why did they break the naming format?

1 Like

Bc they felt like it is the right answer.

In game reason they gave in LB2 is bc the Scathach we have already know has parts of Skadi’s legend mixed in with her own already. This Skadi is the reverse she has parts of Scathach mixed in with her, something about her being bound to the celtic warrior can’t remember the exact quote.

There’s at least one more in the form of Romulus=Quirinus, though he won’t hit NA for a couple years yet.

7 Likes

Nobody asks How is scathach=skadi

Old meme as side, it probably is japanese’s way of spacing. There are no spaces in jp, so to indicate the separation between the 2 names the equals sign is used

2 Likes

That’s good to know. If she’s just the first in a new, and rarely-used naming format, then that requires significantly less justification than her just doing her own thing.

This. I know that we’ll most likely have it as Scathach-Skadi, just the hyphen/dash. But in Japanese スカサハースカヂ the " - " would only stretch out the last “Ha”, so instead they used [=] to separate both words.

Also for some reason when I write the “Di” in Skadi the ディ comes out as ヂ instead

4 Likes

because it isn’t actually “di” in romaji, but “dei” with i in lower case

Just glad they used a hyphen for Scathach-Skadi on NA instead of the equals sign. Just looks odd.

Although they should’ve just used Skadi instead of a combo in the first place as they did that for every other pseudo servant like Ishtar, instead of Rin=Ishtar.

9 Likes

I guess you’re right. It seems weird to me that I can’t spell it that way in my japanese pc tool, but I have no problem with the Japanese Google Keyboard on my phone.

It is just straight translation. ishtar is just イシュタル in jp, with no reference of rin. The same is true for all pseudo servants. Quirinus and Skadi probably just got special treatment because they are divine spirit on top of servants

2 Likes

Just glad they used a hyphen for Scathach-Skadi on NA instead of the equals sign. Just looks odd.

They’re doing what? This is the first I’ve heard about anything like that.

1 Like

20200701_183202

Yep yep.

10 Likes

Yeah, that’s how I’ve felt for the last 2 years.

7 Likes

For some reason I always just thought it was a way of differentiating between the original Scathatch who is a lancer with new Scathatch who is a buffer caster while reminding us that it’s still a Scathatch face.

1 Like

Thats when they do stuff like Vlad (Extra) or Lancelot (Saber)

2 Likes

They already have means of differentiating the same servant multiple times.
Kiyohime vs kiyohime (Lancer)
Gilgamesh vs gilgamesh (Caster) etc

They could have easily done scathach (Caster) to differentiate, or just Skadi, but had to pick the oddball hyphenated name

4 Likes

The earlier point about the equal sign not being mistaken for the indicator for an elongated vowel in katakana is a very good one.

2 Likes

Answering one quote with two other quotes. The main difference between these characters and Pseudo-servants is that the hosts of pseudo-servants don’t qualify for servants and are merely a vessel for the servant or deity inhabiting them. In these cases, the host is a servant already which is being inhabited by a deity that has some connection to them. Because of this it makes sense that the servant vessel is worth mentioning as well as the deity, whereas the host of pseudo-servants aren’t worth mentioning because they aren’t servants on their own.

5 Likes

a = Scathach
b = Skadi

a = b
a2 = b2
a2 - b2 = 0
(a-b)(a+b) = 0
(a-b)(a+b)/(a-b) = 0/(a-b)
1(a+b) = 0
(a+b) = 0
1 + 1 = 0
2 = 0
1 = 0
1 + 1 = 1
Scathach=Skadi

21 Likes

I appreciate the joke, but at the same time… what are formulas doing in a discussion thread? begone, vile variables and needless numbers! :fgo_badciv:

5 Likes